Tuesday 1 March 2011

At Last! A Completed Knitting Project I'm Happy With

When I'm not sewing, I'm almost always knitting. But rarely do I complete a project, because I'm so impatient I can't BEAR the amount of time it takes, and I'm never happy with the results. But I just made the easiest, quickest shrug ever, and for once, I really like it! That's me looking really pleased with myself, and below is the original:

How scrawney are her arms!?!? I think that's why I hardly ever complete any knitting, because it never looks like the picture, and I'm a much curvier shape than most of the models, so I'm ultimately really disappointed. Also, most of the patterns I want to try out call for 2 and 3 ply yarns, which I've always found hard to source, so I end up improvising with thicker weights, which never work out. I know there are some experienced knitters out there, who must have come across this dilemma - do you have any recomendations for alternative wools?

That said, I did improvise with this one, and it worked out fine. The pattern recommended 2 or 3 ply wool, but used double. I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino double knitting, and it worked out great.

Here are some close up pictures:



See you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Oh its Lovely!
    I buy machine knitting wool (you get it on those big cones) from ebay, as you can get it in fine weights (4ply can be more like a 2ply).
    I tend to double (or treble) it up to make aprox the right ply for the project, its a bit more time consuming (all that balling up), but for the much cheaper price and wide choice of colours I think its worth the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty..love the shell look in the back too.you did a marvelous job amor.
    I adore your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shrug looks great on you, I can see why you're smiling. I agree with you about the model; some of those 50s models are so tiny, especially their waists. I'm currently knitting my bolero in Sirdar Balmoral DK although the vintage pattern states 3ply. I had managed to get the correct tension with it, although I've now noticed that my finished back is a bit wider than it should be, but at least thats better than being narrower (in my case!).

    P.S. I love your hairstyle too, that blonde streak is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it is PERFECT! How long did it take?

    ARE YOU TAKING ORDERS?

    Seriously, that is really gorgeous and so versatile - you look beautiful!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!